Sunday 14 January 2024

La Salle College: A Journey through Time and Triumphs


La Salle College underwent significant development in its first seven years under the leadership of Brother Aimar. During this period, the school offered matriculation examinations, constructed laboratories, built four tennis courts, and a full-sized football pitch, and erected the statue of St. John Baptist de La Salle that now stands in front of the College. The number of students increased to 805 in 1935 and reached 1,060 in 1939.

During World War II

The outbreak of World War II in Europe in 1939 had a profound impact on La Salle College. On September 3, 1939, Britain declared war on Germany, leading the British War Department in Hong Kong to designate the La Salle College campus as an internment camp for German nationals arrested in Hong Kong on the same day. This internment camp was operational for about eight months, during which the Brothers organized classes in the College Annex across the road, a building that would later become La Salle Primary School in 1957.

On December 8, 1941, the Japanese attacked Hong Kong, and the school building was once again taken over, this time by the British Military, which used it as a relief hospital. Following the surrender of Hong Kong on Christmas Day 1941, the Japanese assumed control of the school building.

During the Japanese occupation, La Salle College is believed to have functioned as a major Japanese military hospital, one of four in Kowloon, until August 1945. As a result of these circumstances, the school's operations were suspended from December 1941 until September 1946, and the Brothers were expelled from the college in February 1942.

Post-war Development

The school resumed its operations in September 1946. By the end of 1949, the Chinese Civil War was drawing to a close, with most of China coming under the control of the Communist government of Mao Zedong. The People's Liberation Army was rapidly advancing southwards toward the Hong Kong border, prompting the British Army to reinforce their garrisons in Hong Kong.

In need of a hospital, the British Army initially expropriated the use of the La Salle College grounds, with an initial agreement for a period of 12 to 18 months. Meanwhile, the Hong Kong government erected wooden hutments on a plot at Perth Street, Ho Man Tin. Unfortunately, the temporary occupation dragged on for ten years, requiring concerted efforts from the local government, some members of the British Parliament, and the Vatican to finally dislodge the Army in August 1959.

Main College Campus

In 1956, Brother Felix was appointed director of the school, and he successfully reacquired the college buildings from the military authorities on August 1, 1959. Student numbers continued to grow steadily, leading to the separation of primary and secondary divisions. La Salle Primary School was founded in 1957, with Brother Henry Pang serving as its founder and first headmaster.

In 1964, the La Salle College Evening School was established within the main campus building. In 1969, the Evening School became Chan Sui Ki (La Salle) College in Ho Man Tin. In 1977, the decision was made by the Brothers, led by then Brother Director Brother Raphael Egan, to undertake the replacement of the aging building. While classes continued, a portion of the school grounds was used to erect a new building. Funding for this project came from the sale of approximately one-third of the school grounds to Cheung Kong Holdings, owned by Li Ka Shing.

On February 19, 1982, in its Golden Jubilee year, the Governor of Hong Kong, Sir Murray MacLehose, officially opened the new school building.


La Salle College's Form 1 intake consists of 75% of students from its feeder school, La Salle Primary School, and 25% from other primary schools. Applicants are required to attend interviews in both Chinese and English, conducted by the supervisor and the principal. Admission criteria also include the applicants' performance in extracurricular activities, awards, certificates, and academic excellence. Applicants at La Salle College have the option to study French as an alternative to Chinese.

The Old Boys' Association

The La Salle College Old Boys' Association (LSCOBA) serves as the alumni organization for the school. Established in 1939, it boasts a membership of 7,453 as of March 31, 2017. By tradition, alumni of La Salle College are referred to as La Salle Old Boys. The Association organizes social events for old boys, provides learning opportunities for current students, and sponsors various student activities.


La Salle College follows the local Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) curriculum. Hong Kong law requires schools to conduct two examinations annually: mid-year and final examinations. In between these two examinations, students receive feedback on their performance through continuous assessments, which account for 20% of the total.


La Salle College's journey reflects a tapestry woven with dedication, resilience, and a commitment to education. From its humble beginnings to the challenges of wartime disruptions, the institution has evolved into a beacon of academic excellence and a nurturing environment for generations of students.


Q1: How many students are admitted to La Salle College's Form 1?

A1: The Form 1 intake comprises 75% of students from La Salle Primary School and 25% from other primary schools.

Q2: What is the admission criteria for La Salle College?

A2: The admission criteria include performance in interviews, extracurricular activities, awards, certificates, and academic excellence.

Q3: Can students study a language other than Chinese at La Salle College?

A3: Yes, students at La Salle College have the option to study French as an alternative to Chinese.

Q4: How can alumni stay connected with La Salle College?

A4: Alumni can join the La Salle College Old Boys' Association (LSCOBA) to stay connected, participate in events, and support current students.

More information from Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment